Fun Pizza Facts You Probably Didn’t Know!
- The average American eats around 6,000 slices of pizza over their lifetime!
- Pizza sales in the U.S. hit over $28 BILLION per year!
- During the average week, Domino’s pizza delivery drivers drive over 10 million miles while delivering pizzas!
- The one day a year when the most pizza is eaten in the U.S.? Halloween! Ironically, October is national pizza month! The least pizza is eaten on Thanksgiving day which isn’t a surprise!
- When it comes to worldwide pizza consumption, more than 5 BILLION pizzas are served around the world every year!
- The word “pizza” means “pie” in Italian.
- In 1905, the first pizza place in America, Lombardi’s, started selling pizza.
- It wasn’t until 1933 that pizza began being sold by the slice in the U.S. before then it was only available by the pie.
- Pizza really took off in the U.S. after World War II when American GI’s returned from Italy and started craving the pizza they’d eaten there.
- It was ten years after pizza began being sold by the slice that Chicago deep dish found its way on to the scene.
- Nineteen years after Chicago deep dish pizza made its debut, frozen pizza made it’s the first appearance…that’s in 1962 for those of you who aren’t so good with numbers!
- The same year that Chicago deep dish pizza debuted, that controversial Hawaiian pizza was introduced. Ironically, it was introduced in a Pizza place in Canada by a man of Greek origin!
- In 1993, Domino’s Pizza was forced to stop their “30 minutes or less” delivery guarantee after they became the target of multiple lawsuits for the promotion of unsafe driving practices.
- Speaking of pizza delivery, the company that delivers the most pizzas worldwide is Domino’s! They deliver more than a million pizzas every day!
- The weirdest pizza topping? That depends on who you ask! Finland’s Pizza Berlusconi makes the list for most Americans though, it’s topped with smoked reindeer! Then there’s the Swedish delicacy of pizza topped with bananas and curry powder or you could head to Australia for pizza topped with crocodile, emu, or kangaroo!
- Tom Lehmann of Manhattan, Kansas, is also known as the “Dough Doctor” and since 1967 he has worked with the American Institute of Baking. When chefs worldwide find themselves in a jam, they call on the “Dough Doctor” for help with their recipes!
- The largest pizza commercially available in the U.S. measures 8' by 2' 8" and can be ordered from Moontower Pizza Bar in Burlson, Texas. The monster pizza must be ordered 48 hours ahead of time and with one topping it costs $299.95 (plus tax).
What are your favorite pizza joints? If you’re ever near Palm Harbor, Florida I recommend checking out Fairway Pizza they have delicious Northern Italian style pizza!